Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thus far...

As I write this, I am less than 12 hours away from finishing my first week in Vienna. Most importantly, I feel that my German skills have increased dramatically. While some of the Austrian dialects remain almost unintelligible, I can, for the most part, understand what people are saying. For example, today we received a 3 hour tour of an airplane museum and I understood almost the entirety of what our tour guide said. My speaking has also improved, including my vocabulary and especially my confidence. A big factor in this improvement is trying to speak as much German as possible, regardless of the fact that almost everyone here speaks English extremely well. The improvement in this area has also come at a cost, as I felt more than a little embarrassed several times. For instance, on one of my first days here, I ventured to a coffee shop and ordered (perfectly, I might add) a macchiato. What followed was not so perfect, as the barista hammered me over and over with simple questions in German such as, "For here or to go?" I responded to all of these questions with "Wie, bitte?" ("Say again, please") But I was ultimately able to get out a few answers that seemed to satisfy her. I felt like a complete dunce, but now I know what to expect and am more prepared.
Reading and writing are still difficult, but I am trying to remedy this. I bought a book for pre-teens and have been sitting next to my computer on an online dictionary trying to decipher it. I figure that writing my 400-word homework essay in German will also help this.
I have also tried a number of beers during my stay, including: Austrian beers like Edelweiss, Ottakringer, Gösser, and my favorite so far Trumer pilsner, but also German beers such as Paulaner and Franciskaner, both excellent weißbeers. However, the group of cadets that I’m with is quite reserved, so we don't drink much.
In addition to the tasty beers, I've had some delicious food. On our first day, we went an Austrian cadet and had some amazing Wiener Schnitzel. I also had some excellent Schnitzel at a restaurant right outside the base we are staying at called Centimeter II. The Dönner Kebab here is also delicious. And of course, the coffee I mentioned in an earlier post is outstanding.
Since I've been here we have done some cool things. I've been sightseeing (although simply walking outside is sightseeing since this country has so much history and so many cool statues and monuments). I received a tour of the US embassy and a presentation of the Officer for Defense Cooperation's job from Lieutenant Colonel Chad Lemond, which has made me seriously consider becoming a Foreign Area Officer. I also was able to shoot the Sturmgewehr 77, Pistole 80, and Maschingewehr 42, which was very cool. As well as watch a few Eurofighter Jets take off. Tomorrow we are going to an art museum. I'm excited to do some military training with the Austrian army as well as visiting Slovakia and Hungary in the near future.
Overall, this first week has been totally great, although I have dealt with a few struggles. The biggest has been being away from my fiancé, family, and friends. Skype has definitely been a big help with this and I highly recommend it to anyone who goes abroad. I also recommend to all cadets to go abroad cow (junior) year if possible, as it is difficult being away from all of my buddies during our firstie (senior) year. Internet accessibility is also a bit sketchy; I suggest getting a pay as you go internet stick upon arrival. I t was 50 Euros but it is worth it to be able to access Facebook, email, and Skype. There are internet cafes, but their hours are unusual. One of the best internet cafes that I've been to is McDonald's, which is without a doubt the classiest I've ever been to due to the crown molding, chandelier, and hip feel.
I am only a week in, but I already feel as though I should suggest Vienna as a great vacation spot, and to any cadets who are undecided: be a Foreign Language major and go abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment